Recipe of Veg Falafel Biryani
In the part 1 of Subz-e-falafel Biryani recipe, we learned how to make crispy Falafel balls. In this part, we will learn how to make restaurant style vegetable biryani and garnish it with the Falafel balls to create a unique and flavorful Subz-e-Falafel biryani.
100 grams paneer, cut into ½ inch cubes
2 carrots, medium size, peeled and diced
6-7 French beans, roughly chopped
4-6 baby corn, diced
12 florets of cauliflower
¼ cup frozen green peas
500 gms Basmati Rice
5 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
2 medium size onions, sliced
2-3 green chilies
2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 inch ginger, cut into juliennes
2 tbsp fresh cream
100 gm tomato puree
1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
½ tbsp fresh mint leaves
4 tbsp fried onions
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
1 bay leaf
10-12 black peppercorns
1 blade mace (javitri)
5-6 green cardamoms
1 inch cinnamon stick
4 tsp saffron milk
8-10 cashew nuts, lightly fried
1 tsp green cardamom powder for sprinkling
1. Soak basmati rice for 30 to 60 minutes and drain.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons of ghee in a non-stick fry pan. Add mace, cloves, green cardamoms, cinnamon, bay leaf and peppercorns & sauté till the mixture becomes fragrant.
2. Add strained basmati Rice to the spice mixture and mix thorougly. Add three cups of hot water.
3. Add enough salt to the rice. cover the fry pan and cook the rice till it is about 80% cooked. Strain the rice and keep it aside.
4. Heat remaining ghee in another non-stick deep pan. Add shahi jeera and sauté for about a minute.
5. Add sliced onions to shahi jeera, mix and sauté till onions turn pink.
6. Add slit green chilies to onions, stir well and continue frying for another minute. Add ginger-garlic paste, and sauté while stirring well.
7. Add chili powder, coriander-cumin powder, turmeric and mix thoroughly. Mix tomato puree, and cook for 2 more minutes.
8. Add cauliflower, carrots, baby corn, French beans and mix. Add cream and salt, green peas, coriander leaves and paneer cubes, Stir gently and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
9. Take a handi with thick bottom. Spread a layer of cooked vegetables and top it with a layer of semi cooked basmati rice. Sprinkle cardamom powder, 2 tablespoons fried onions, half the ginger juliennes and fried cashew nuts. Sprinkle some ghee, 2 teaspoons saffron milk, some mint leaves and kewra water.
10. Top with a layer of remaining basmati rice, cooked vegetables, and crispy falafel balls. Sprinkle remaining fried onions, some cardamom powder, ginger juliennes and some mint leaves. Drizzle remaining saffron milk and some kewra water.
12. Place the lid on the handi and place it on a tawa, and let the biryani in the handi cook over a low flame for about 10-15 minutes. You can feel the great aroma of the biryani when you open the lid.
13. Serve Subz-e-Falafel biryani hot with yogurt and cucumber raita.