How to Make Prawns Biryani at Home?
Indian cuisine is famous for many foods with a distinctive taste, and biryani is one of these dishes, which is characterized by exotic Indian spices that give this dish a unique and distinctive flavor. Biryani is one of the most famous Indian dishes that has spread to many countries worldwide. It is distinguished by its delicious taste and high nutritional value. This is because it contains the most important nutrients necessary for a healthy body such as carbohydrates, minerals and proteins.
Biryanis can be prepared with vegetables, meat, chicken, fish or shrimp and other ingredients. Here, in this recipe, we will present to you, how to make Prawns biryani or Shrimp biryani. Every state and region in India has its unique style of preparation of Biryani. The ingredients used in the biryani also vary based on the region and its food culture. For example, Hyderabadi Biryanis are spicy but Kashmiri style biryanis are mild in taste.
Prawns biryani is a flavorful biryani made using prawns or shrimps and aromatic basmati rice. Prawns are marinated with spices and caramelized onions that adds a unique flavor to the biryani. This biryani is layered and cooked along with semi cooked basmati rice. Ingredients like Saffron milk, cardamom powder are also added to give the biryani a distinct flavor.
This prawns biryani recipe is simple to make and yet absolutely delicious. You can make this biryani for a special lunch or dinner and serve it with onion cucumber raita.
To cook biryani rice
300 gms of Basmati rice
1 liter of water
Few saffron strands
Salt, to taste
To cook Shrimp Masala
500 gms of peeled shrimp
2 onions, finely chopped.
2 tablespoons of finely chopped green coriander leaves
1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
1 tablespoon of ground ginger
1 teaspoon black pepper seeds
3 Tomatoes, pureed
Half a teaspoon of turmeric powder
1 teaspoon of red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder
1 teaspoon of ground cardamom
1 tablespoon of biryani spice
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of chopped capsicum
2-3 green chilies
Two tablespoons of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of oil
Salt, to taste
How to prepare:
To prepare the Biryani Rice:
- Soak Basmati rice in water for about 30 minutes.
- Boil a pot over a fire with water and salt, then add the soaked rice and cook it for around 7-8 minutes till it is about 80% cooked. Srain the rice and keep it aside.
- Soak saffron strands in little water and add it to the cooked rice. Give the rice a gentle stir till the rice becomes saffron in color.
To prepare the Shrimp Masala:
- The first step is to wash the shrimp, add lemon juice, salt and turmeric to it, and set it aside for half an hour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a fire, Saute the onion, garlic, ginger, black pepper seeds till the onion turns pinkish. Add the prawns, stir and continue to saute for about 5 minutes, till the prawns become tender.
- Add the slit green chilies, coriander leaves and keep stirring for two full minutes. Flavor the mixture with turmeric powder, cumin, red chili powder, and salt, and continue to saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and continue to saute. Add biryani masala and ground cardamom and saute for two more minutes. Your shrimp masala is ready.
- The last step is to pour the shrimp masala over biryani rice in a serving dish. Sprinkle lemon juice and garnish the prawns biryani with fresh coriander leaves.
This recipe will serve about 3 persons.